Creative Cakes by Sharon made this terrific video tutorial that shows how to make a stained glass Finding Dory Cake. She made it for a Finding Dory tutorial collaboration hosted by The Dessert Network. Sharon uses a template of Dory to make an impression on the cake. She then pipes black icing over the impression. At this point, the cake looks like a Finding Dory coloring book. Lastly, Sharon shows you how to color the cake.
This is a wonderful tutorial because:
- This tutorial doesn’t require special tools. You need a few pins, a piping bag, and a small food safe paint brush.
- Sharon shows you how to make the image of Dory span two different sized layers. You can use this technique for a single layer as well, but having Dory span two layers really makes this cake look terrific.
- Sharon shows you how to make the cake look like stained glass.
- Sharon only uses four colors to paint the cake. She shows you how to get different shades of a single color by dipping your brush in different places in the paint.
- Sharon provides a black and white template of Dory and the same picture in color so you can use it as a color guide.
You can download this template and color guide on Sharon’s Facebook Page at this link.